Take the long view: join us for a 16-week journey.
Three hours of workshop per week
Starting Friday, Feb 10th, 2023 & Tuesday, Feb 14th for AUS/USA.
Time: Fridays 0730-1030 UK. Tuesdays 0800-1100 AUS (AEDT). Mondays 1600-1900 USA (EST).
Cost: Sterling £1,300. AUD $2,335 + GST = $2,568. (payment button will auto-convert to US dollars)
Places now available. Limited to 24 people.
This will be our second long-form EMDR & IFS training, running over 16 weeks, beginning on Friday, February 10th, 2023 at 0730 if you’re in the UK. Tuesday February 14th at 0800 Syd/Melb time if you’re in Australia or the USA. This takes you beyond the EMDR standard protocol of basic training so that you can begin to explore the territory of EMDR psychotherapy. Thus addressing the full clinical picture of individual, relational and behavioural issues for clients, so that you’re able to treat any symptom that walks in the door from depression, anxiety, phobias, addiction, OCD, through to relationship and parenting problems. This is relational EMDR both within the client, the therapeutic relationship and the community outside. But this course takes you beyond skills and into the terrain of working with your own parts, the parts of us, the therapists that become overwhelmed by clients, feel over-responsible and sometimes feel frustrated that our clients won’t find that target.
Feedback from September workshops
- this course was transformative for me both personally and professionally and has profoundly enriched my practice.
- My life has been changed by this course.
- The information/articles on the website were excellent.
- IFS holds the elements of respect, kindness and consideration of all parts and creates significant safety for the client to adequately nurture their traumatic and stressful experiences in order for EMDR to work well.
- It was pretty terrific.
- I loved Annabel protocols – very clear and profound.
A review in EMDR Therapy Quarterly of a recent Parts/IFS workshop I ran said: “I came away from the training full of new ideas about how to work with clients when in the past a session may have got stuck or when there was a lack of growth. Due to the way the course was designed and the material presented, I felt confident to begin utilising the new skills the very next day when I went back into my clinic. Since then, I have used the skills so often that now I barely recognise they are new. I would recommend this course unreservedly”.
Read my recent article on IFS-informed EMDR published in the EMDR Therapy Quarterly here.
Harnessing the insights of parts & ego states by using an IFS-inspired approach to trauma healing.
Want to join us on the journey of blending EMDR & IFS?
EMDR and IFS are the most powerful therapies available for activating the brain’s natural healing mechanisms, which EMDR calls the Adaptive Information Processing Model or AIP and IFS calls unburdening. Both approaches bring about memory re-consolidation to change the way the brain stores memories and thus overcome debilitating symptoms such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders, behavioural and substance addictions, physical conditions including chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, as well as severe illnesses such as borderline personality disorder, and suicidal thoughts.
- Many people find that a short weekend training isn’t enough to really deepen the learning to embed it into their practice. By meeting for three hours a week, over thirteen weeks, you’ll get to take a deep dive into:
- Attachment-focused EMDR.
- Internal Family System (IFS) model.
- EMDR with Addiction.
- And understand your own system & parts.
Attachment-focused EMDR, also known as attachment-informed EMDR, brings you Laurel Parnell’s innovations in simplifying the standard EMDR protocol, rich imaginal resourcing and a truly brilliant bridging technique that allows you to tap into the root causes of today’s presenting problems and symptoms.
The IFS model brings a relational set of tools to EMDR that offer ways to work with the most stuck, resistant and avoidant of clients. Firstly there’s a whole new approach to understanding targets, which now become parts in the IFS model. Parts who can be dialogued with and appreciated for their positive intentions. As all the parts that drive the symptoms are carrying burdens and trauma, they can be assisted to unburden and integrate. Plus as well as dialoguing with the firefighters who drive addictive behaviours you’ll get to learn all the EMDR protocols for working with addiction too.
You can take the learning at your own pace, practise a new skill each week, share with the group how you’re getting on with clients and ask questions to take you further.
The number of participants is capped at 24: this is to ensure you always have space to ask questions and don’t feel like you’re lost in a sea of Zoom faces. Please note places fill quickly for this training.
There’s also a higher ratio of facilitators for the triads so you’ll have a personal facilitator dedicated to supporting your practice, not just dropping in and out, interrupting your flow as a therapist and client. Many people name having supervised support during the practicums, from highly experienced EMDR consultants, as one of the most valuable parts of the training.
Also, we’re aware that some people are very experienced in working with parts and ego states so please tell us on the registration form about your IFS level of experience. That way we can put you in practice groups with other novices or advanced colleagues, as appropriate. We may even run a future course specifically aimed at advanced IFSers to stretch you.
Many in the EMDR community are curious about IFS and what it can add to EMDR trauma processing, in fact, there’s quite a buzz. However most IFS training courses, lasting eight full days (48 hours) are booked up, with long waiting lists of over a year, or places are even allocated via a lottery system. Then there’s the cost to contend with – usually around AUD $6,000 or Sterling £3,000. This 48-hour course is intended to fill that gap: to offer you the feel of IFS as it can be integrated with EMDR, along with the immersive supervised practice that’s central to IFS and intended to help you get to know your parts and your system in service of your clients.
- Feb 10th UK (Feb 14th AUS. Feb 13th USA) Module 1: Welcome. Intro to Parts & ego states via IFS model. Self & Parts. Meditation & brief demo. Ways to access Self-energy (more than clients, us as therapists). Times Fridays: 0730-1030 UK time. Tuesdays 0800-1100 Syd/Melb time. Mondays 1600-1900 USA EST.
- Feb 17th UK (Feb 21st AUS. Feb 20th USA): Q& A plus. Practise part to Self-connection & unblending in pairs.
- Feb 24th UK. (Feb 28th AUS. Feb 27th USA) Module 1 part 2: Teaching. Befriending protectors. No bad parts. Dialoguing with protectors. Knowing your parts. Map your parts (homework in wk 1).
- Mar 3rd UK. (Mar 7th AUS. Mar 6th USA) Module 1 part 3. Q & A. Practise Part to Self-dialogue.
- Mar 10th UK. (Mar 14th AUS. Mar 13th USA) Module 2: AI-EMDR with parts protocol. Blending both models. Adding unburdening. Live demo of IFS informed EMDR protocol.
- Mar 17th UK. (Mar 21st AUS. Mar 20th USA) Q & A. Practise Part to Self-dialoguing in pairs.
- Mar 24th UK. Week off for UK EMDR Association conference.
- Mar 31st UK. (Mar 28th AUS. Mar 27th USA) Module 2: Triads with facilitator; practise IFS informed EMDR protocol.
- Apr 7th UK. (Apr 11th AUS. Apr 10th USA) Week off for Easter.
- Apr 14th UK. (Apr 4th AUS. Apr 3rd USA) Module 2 part 2: Teaching: Therapist’s parts & Self-like parts. Incl Q & A week with 1 hr of practice Part to Self-dialogue.
- Apr 21st UK. (Apr 18th AUS. Apr 17th USA) Module 2 part 3: Teaching: Accessing self-energy via Preverbal trauma.
- (Apr 25th AUS. Apr 24th USA) Week off for Anzac day in Australia.
- Apr 28th UK. (May 2nd AUS. May 1st USA) Module 2 part 3: Practise Preverbal trauma protocol in triads with facilitator.
- May 5th UK. (May 9th AUS. May 8th USA) Module 2 part 4. Teaching: Closure tips plus Rescue & repair protocol. Q & A week with 1 hr part to self-dialogue.
- May 12th UK. (May 16th AUS. May 15th USA)Triads with facilitator. Practice plus Rescue & repair protocol.
- May 19th UK. (May 23rd AUS. May 22nd USA) Module 3 part 1: Teaching. Dialogue with polarised protectors. Q & A week with 1 hr part to self dialogue.
- May 26th UK. (May 30th AUS. May 29th USA) Module 3 part 2: Demo of addiction protocol. AI-EMDR with addiction more of an IFS lens. Stages of change model and other tools with addiction.
- June 2nd UK. (June 6th AUS. June 5th USA) Practise IFS & AI-EMDR with addiction in triads with facilitator.
- June 9th UK. (June 13th AUS. June 12th USA) Closure. The whole group together to ask hanging questions, clinical cases etc.
Cost in sterling £1,300 please email for an invoice. AUD $2,335 + GST = $2,568.
Spaces are available for both Friday (UK) and Tuesday (AUS)/Mondays (USA) cohorts.
This payment button will charge you $395 in Australian dollars (payment button will auto-convert to US dollars).
28 hours of CPD with EMDR Association UK have been awarded.